Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. on June 1, 2020
BGMU is accepting applications for the position of Meter Reader. This full-time position will be scheduled to work 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday from 7:00a to 4:00p. Meter readers spend the day outside, traveling by vehicle and walking various areas of our service territory. The individual will view and electronically record readings on electric and water meters with accuracy. Inspection and maintenance of the areas around water meters is performed as needed, with reporting of irregularities, damage, or impediments to meter access. The job requires significant physical exertion. The physical aspects of the job include:
- Good vision, with or without corrective lenses, in order to read meters accurately.
- Walking long distances for extensive periods of time, occasionally through uneven terrain with tall grass and through weeded areas.
- Reaching overhead, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling, and climbing stairs.
- Repetitive lifting of 5 – 10 lb. meter tops, with occasional lifting of heavier meter tops.
- Tolerating extreme weather conditions. Work will be performed outside regardless of weather conditions and will include such extremes as hot, cold, rain and snow for prolonged periods.
- Work may include encounters with dogs and other kinds of animals.
- Must be able to use a shovel, vice grips, channel locks and other tools.
Skills and Qualifications: Requires a basic knowledge of computers and the ability to independently follow an established work schedule. This job requires mathematical skills sufficient to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure. Must work cooperatively with the meter reading team, and maintain good relations with employees and customers. Must have knowledge of safe driving practices and the laws regulating the operation of motor vehicles. Warren County, KY residency is required within 6 months of employment.
Minimum requirements: A high school diploma or graduate equivalency. A valid Kentucky driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
Preferred requirements: Familiarity with the city of Bowling Green and how to best navigate is desirable. Prior experience with reading meters is preferred but not required.
Applicants must apply online at https://www.bgmu.com/career/job-application/. Applicants lacking a computer with internet access can find these tools at the Kentucky Career Center, 803 Chestnut Street in downtown Bowling Green. This position is open until filled. Full consideration will be given to applications received by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, June 1, 2020.
BGMU is a Kentucky Certified Drug-Free Workplace and an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Employer who recruits, hires, trains, and promotes persons without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, pregnancy/child birth related medical conditions, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, or tobacco-smoking status. Minority and female applicants are encouraged to apply.
Job Opening expires at 4:30pm on Monday June 1st, 2020